
I ordered the largest Hot Caramel Apple Spice with Whipped Cream they had (Venti) and when I saw the Cup, I 'loved' it, had a 'light bulb' moment and saved it along with it's sleeve of course.Inspired by Jennibellie (her site is fantastic re home made journals!) the following is the First Ever Java Journal I have made and I am pretty pleased how it turned out, especially the woven spine and fringe.
(Here it is lying beside it's younger brother, the Tall sized cup)
*
I began by taking my cup home, washing and drying it out, then removed the bottom and split the cup into two.Next I cut off the rolled up top and tried to even out the two sides.I really didn't like the rough edges so I covered them with Tim Holtz Tissue Tape.
** Note to Tim: you know I love your stuff, honestly, but HOW I WISH your tissue tape WOULD STICK! It doesn't stick worth a darn! I had to lay down a layer of glue from a glue runner before I could apply yours. Nuts.
So to make it even more durable, I punched holes and threaded my yarn through it to give it a more home spun look.
Then came the most fun!
After measuring the inside dimensions, (3x5 inches) I figured that 6x5 inches would do for my signatures, so I began to cut up BILLS and ANNOYING Adverts into those sizes to be folded in half. (Talk About Job Satisfaction, I was almost overcome with excitement!)
Each signature would have a cover and four pages. Once that was done, then all I had to do was punch holes in the centre along with one on each side about an inch from the end and do the 'pamphlet stitch' (see Jennibellie for instructions). After my signatures were made, I then wove them over the spine.
Ta! Da! Java Journal!
*
Once I had my Java Journal made (I may add beads to the fringe for more bling) I then went to one of my favourite Art Journaling sites: Kathryn Antyr's Journey of the Heart series and downloaded her Passionate Dragon Page.
I thought that would make a fitting First Page entry since I am a Dragon Lady and this is after all, my Special Birthday Java Journal. Today was the JJ's 's first outing at our local SB's and yes, that is me, actually writing something in it! (if you look closely, you can even see the gesso smears on my nails!)*
Below is a short vid of the Java Journal Makings - hope you enjoy
Blessings of Creative and Juicy Journaling (java or otherwise) to all readers out there!


4 comments:
Love it. Dang that dragon wing looks awesome! Thanks for sharing your process. I'll be sure to point to it as I know it will inspire others with their own creative journal keeping.
{soul hugs}
Ryn
As soon as i spied that cup it had to go in my journal. I LOVE your creative use of the same material. What a great little book.
I love the little book, too!
Great Job!
and thanks for posting the process... I may just try this.
:)
Cheers
This is GORGEOUS!! Genius idea and it turned out beautiful, it's wonderful to see so glad I saw this, much love Jennibellie xxx PS thanks for the shout out too xxx
Post a Comment