Wednesday, June 20, 2012

MidSommar - MidSummer -Summer Solstice

 As a child of 3 distinct Traditions: Viking, Celt and more recently discovered First Nations, I decided that on June 21st - Summer Solstice, to begin honouring the Nordic Tradition as I have done with the Celt for the last 20 or so years.
In 2009, I took our Winter Solstice Tree ( a Fraser fir that did not survive it's planting) uprooted her, made a large hole, then set her aside and decorated her with wreaths made from the flowers and grasses of the hillside.
Into the hole, all Midsummer's Day, people came and placed silver coins or items to 'feed the tree'. Once that was done, that night, now wreathed and ribboned, She was plunked down and her feet anchored with large stones.
I had seen the 'raising of the Midsummer Pole' at the local Danish Home in Burnaby when we lived close by in New Westminster and thought I would love to do that once I get a piece of land.
Granted it is not the same size as theirs! (as you can see, it takes the whole community to raise it!)

The Pole or Midsommarstang is the Winter Solstice Tree shorn of its leaves and branches, carefully dried and then 'raised' at the Summer Solstice to be burn in the Solstice fire.
In my case, I am keeping her going as long as she lasts as she is 'be-ribboned' and full of wishes.
Already one wish has fallen to the ground and hopefully granted.
So in effect I am 'marrying' two Traditions: the Celt and the Viking with this Midsommarstrang.


It was only in bits and pieces that I heard about MidSummer Celebrations in Sweden.
I have come late in my life to find out about my Scandinavian heritage.
The only thing I remember, is my Dad telling me that his Dad (Grandpa Bergquist), used to dance all night long (as the sun never set at that time) on a 'table mountain' along with the rest of the village.
I would like to think it looked something like this:Midsommardans av Anders Zorn 1897

Blessings of the Midsommar to all who read this: Happy Summer Solstice to my NH friends and for those of you in the SH: Happy Winter Solstice!

No comments: