Sunday, August 8, 2010

ATC - August 8 - The Open Door

Ms D's card this week shows an invitation 'for tea and sweets'. (which I am going to take her up on as soon as the summer rush is over.. you have been warned Ms D!.)

This so reminded me of my 'Bestemor' (Grandma) who had an 'open door' to the whole neighbourhood.
I would walk by her place on the way home from school and though it played havoc with mealtimes, I would go in and gorge on chocolate fudge cookies and grape juice.
I never once found the front door locked.
Our whole neighbourhood was like that - you opened the door, stuck your head in and yelled 'Is anyone home?'

Around the time I was 10 or 11 years old, things changed.
My mom put a lock on the deep freezer and had to remind me to always lock the front door and where to hide the key after I did that.

My card this week is a homage to the Open Door policy that I grew up with and is also a special nod of thanks to Ms D's tireless work as a sign language interpreter - I was very pleased with myself when I saw the Hand Sign for 'Open Door'.

Our Open Door policy is this:
When we are home, the front door is unlocked and folks can still stick their heads in and yell 'WooHOOhoohoo' - the Official Quail Hill call.
We have also made sure that both sets of neighbour-cousins have keys to our house as well.
Our philosophy is best said on the card:
Mi Casa Es Su Casa - My House is Your House.
Welcome Guest who becomes our Friend.
Blessings
Shanti

No comments: