Wednesday, June 3, 2009

By Butterfly - Par Papillon - Serendip Postcard

*
Traveling soon?
One of the best pieces of advice that we were Ever Given -
'Leave room in your Itinerary for Serendipity to happen!'

Joseph Campbell (Follow Your Bliss) was giving a lecture and when he had finished, a lady came up to him and said,
"Mr. Campbell, I am going on a journey myself", and then added rather worriedly, "I hope it all goes as planned."
Joseph looked at her, took her hand in his and said, "'My dear lady, I hope it All Doesn't Go As Planned."

Serendip is one of the many ancient names for present day Sri Lanka and is the root word for 'serendipity'.
The weary sea travellers who discovered this tear-drop shaped Island, must have thought they had found the Garden of Eden; especially after many months at sea, or even washed up during a storm!
No wonder they exclaimed, "Paradise found!"
It had an enviable temperate climate, lush green forests, fresh water, multi-coloured birds and flowers, and most important of all, friendly inhabitants who welcomed strangers to their shores.

It has since slipped into the English lexicon and according to one source, 'is one of the ten most difficult words to translate'.
Probably because each person's idea of a Garden of Paradise will remain inevitably their own.

Here then is my Story of the Postcard from Serendip
*
I had left my window open to the Moon and the warm night wind stirred the curtains.
I did not wake.
Two of the Muse's magical Butterflies landed on the windowsill, struggling a bit with their Delivery.
They ever so carefully placed the Serendip Postcard against the window pane, then launched themselves homeward with a gentle push from moonbeams to aid their way.
Fluttering back safely to Serendip, they landed softly as dandelion down into the Muse's waiting palm.
"Delivered?", She asked.
The two butteflies dipped their antennae in agreement.
"Did she wake?"
The antennae drooped.

The Muse gazed fondly at Her faithful mail carriers.
"Never mind dear ones, she will be sent a message tonight in her dreams to look for something special on her windowsill. You did well, now go now, the Night Blooming Orchids are waiting."

Then the Muse turned Her face to the Moon and sang a Message-Dream-Song.
(Since it is in ancient Greek, this is my poor translation of what She sang:)
"In the morning, in the morning, propped on your sill,
Is a message of love from me to you.

You may not hear it, but your heart does.
Sleep now and Believe the Gift."

**
Next morning I began to create what had been sent to my heart.
A Robert Fulghum quote that I had longed to use in one of my projects, came to mind.
How perfect!
Not only did I love the message, but it had Eight Parts - one for each point of the Compass!

Be Aware of Wonder.

Live a balanced life -

learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work

every day some.

I started with an Ancient Map of India to give my artpiece, a 'Treaure Map' feel and added a topographical photo of Sri Lanka - a bit of old and new mixed.
The background is composed of Serendipity definitions in different languages, proving that
it may be a difficult word to translate, even so, echoes of it find their way into people's hearts.

The Serendipity Spinner was an amazing piece of fun to create and I chose to go for the simple pushpin idea.

Since I work inside every day, I changed the word 'Work' to 'Garden'; a gentle reminder to encourage me to take a break, go outside, pull weeds and water!
The Compass part is created from a kaleidoscopic photo of my pink flowering shamrocks.
I loved how the centre has a perfect 8 pointed star.
If you gently give it a twirl, the Activity that is in line with Butterflies, is the Route To Take To Serendip.
Today's Direction? Paint!

(hmm..I wonder if the Muse meant my wee bathroom which have bare white walls at present?)

And as regards Synchronicity - I learned long ago that there are no 'coincidences'; they are 'significances'.

"Just as anyone who listens to the muse will hear, you can write out of your own intention or out of inspiration. There is such a thing. It comes up and talks. And those who have heard deeply the rhythms and hymns of the gods, can recite those hymns in such a way that the gods will be attracted."
Joseph Campbell (The Hero's Journey: Joseph Campbell on His Life & Work)

Blessings
May the Muse bless you with a Postcard from Serendip delivered 'par papillon'
Shanti

12 comments:

Laura said...

Thank you for sharing. Your work is beautiful

morningDove said...

oh i love this one. truly wonderful how you put it together and your post was just as wonderful. loved reading it.

Laura Kay said...

This is a fantastic piece!! What an interesting story as well.

Alison Cassidy said...

This is absolutely *gorgeous*!!!

You're incredibly talented, and in so many ways :)

Kathryn Costa said...

There is so much to this delightful post. wow Wow WOW. Here is a little synchronicity for you: I buy myself little gifts here and there and to celebrate my latest mega post I picked up the Nick Bantock gift set of the Griffen and Sabin books. I have been looking at them thinking about a prompt about creating and sending creative selves postcards from our muses. Now really...I was. Now I come here and you have made one! This is way too cool. There is so much I love with your post. The compass with creative action words is brilliant. You know I'm a bit Campbell fan. Your story delights, your post informs, and your artwork is fabulous. Great job! I'm so grateful to know you, dear one. Thank you for sharing this creative journey.

{soul hugs}
Kathryn, Collage Diva

Haloquin said...

Such a beautiful idea! Very inspiring... thank you for sharing :)

Dawn said...

I absolutely loved this post. Everything about it is beautiful, thanks so much for sharing!

Best Wishes - Always!

Dawn

Mescrap said...

This is really a thoughtful one !!! I love it so much!!
Thank you to share it with us.


* I still in progress doing mine

femminismo said...

Oh, how wonderful! I love the spinner and it's got lots of joyous things I like to do. How could a person go wrong using that? And I enjoyed reading all the good thoughts and quotes. Thank you! - Jeanne

Mescrap said...

I still impressed with yours beautiful art works.

Anonymous said...

This is just so delightful! A wonderful choice of things to spend a little time on every single day.

Melisa
http://www.virtuallydesigned.com/gottamake/

gma said...

This is wonderful.