Sunday, October 24, 2010

ATC - October 24 - LadyHawke and the Knight

All in Green went my Love riding
On a great horse of gold
Into the silver dawn.
Four lean hounds crouched low and smiling
The merry deer ran before .
- e.e. cummings -
Click Here to hear it Sung by Joan Baez

One of my most priceless possessions is a green and silver Riley's Toffee Tin that features a medieval hunting scene on the top.
I got it when I was either 10 or 12, and used it to store such treasures as a pre-teen girl would possess. Since Riley's Toffee ceased production some 20 years ago (sad sigh), my tin is now considered 'a vintage collectible' -not that I would ever give it up!
What has this to do with this week's ATC you may wonder?
Here is Ms D's ATC which started me down Memory Lane.
That photo of me with the hawk Tiwari was shot by my friend Karl who had traveled all the way from Belgium to visit us last Autumn (thank you again for those wonderful 9 days!)
One of the most memorable things we did together was visit the Pacific Northwest Predator Centre and go for a 'hawk walk'.
Turn about is fair play as here is my shot of him with the hawk Anakin (later to be known in song and fable as the 'frog killer')
I had always wanted to go 'a hawking' and though we were not on horseback, for that brief time in the woods, I connected with that little girl, her precious toffee tin and her treasures.
It also brought to mind, a wonderfully shot fantasy film with a soundtrack that (sadly) as one reviewer wrote, "sucked sewage" but Never Mind, anytime you can see Rutger in armour, swinging a broad sword and on horseback holding a hawk, has got to account for something!
Blessings of Autumn woods filled with hawks -
Shanti

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LadyHawke is a good film brought down by an atrocious early 80s synthesizer score.

Lady North said...

Indeed (see 'sucked sewage' quote) and I hope really really hope they will 'rescore' it and send it forth to the global LadyHawke fans.