Sunday, April 18, 2010

ATC - April 18 - For Mom

My Mother Merle Lynette
April 21, 1921 - November 25, 1996

Ms D's card showing a precious example of my mother's tatting skills.
She was incredibly gifted with her hands when it came to quilting, sewing and or any kind of craft.
I may not have inherited that particular set of skills nor her speaking voice, but I believe I inherited her thumbs (shown here poplar bud picking).
I see her hands every time I look at mine.
A few words of explanation about this ATC: my mother was a prize winning quilter and that is my birthday quilt that she made for me in the background.
She was also a teacher so it seemed fitting that I stick in a blackboard or two in my tribute.

My neighbour-cousins tease me and tell me that when I am in the midst of doing things like making jelly or out in the garden, 'you are just like your mother!' they cry.
At this stage of my life I can only hope.
Time will tell.

I later found out that her first name Merle was 'blackbird' in French and of course Lynette is the linnet bird.


Merle

the blackbird spirit

that

was in you

all your life

joyously collected

things,

people,

projects,

new adventures -

and tucked them inside your heart.

In the last days,

your body’s fragile shell

longed to dance out

to set forth

on the Sea of Stars..

Go my beloved mother-

Set sail into the swirling mists

Glorious gardens await you

at journey’s end.


Blessings of Mothers to one and all

Shanti

No comments: