This week Ms D's StarTrek card brought back a wonderful memory.It was either 1995 or '96, that I was in Vegas and it just so happened that a TrekkersCon was going on (totally unbeknownst to me) in the very Hotel I was staying in.
I came down the stairs to find people in various Science Fiction / Fantasy garb strolling about the lobby and this Very Long Line Up leading to a table where I could dimly see someone signing autographs.
I stepped up to the last person in line and asked, "Who is it?"
He turned to me and said, 'That's George Takei."
(O wow...Captain Sulu in the flesh.)
So I joined the line up, and was the last person to approach the table.
I could see Mr Takei and his assistant were packing up, getting ready to head out, as I had overheard Mr Takei asking when his flight was leaving and his assistant was saying in about half an hour, so I knew I had to make it quick.
Mr Takei had taken a small photo of himself out, ready to sign as soon as he saw me.
I shook my head and smiled and said, "I don't want your autograph."
That got him.
Startled he looked up at me and said, "You don't?"
"No", I said, "You must be very tired after signing all those photos. All I want to do is give you a hug and thank you for the many years of Star Trek and how inspiring the whole series has been to me in my life."
He stood up and said, "Come here", and opened his arms wide.
I stepped into his warm embrace and o boy, there was not a inch of fat on him.
He was very much the Samurai warrior as I had pictured him, so many years ago in that Star Trek episode.
Then after we hugged, he said, "You just can't leave with nothing!" and he reached down and got one of the largest colour photos he had and taking out a gold pen, inscribed the picture with my name and the brief words: "Thanks for the hug."
That was George Takei and this is my Tribute to him.
Live long and prosper, George Takei!
Blessings
Shanti
1 comment:
That was such a heart warming story! What great character you have. you made my evening. Thank you for that share.
Post a Comment