Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Personal MapMaking: The Legend and Quest for Brighid's Flame

Kindly click on the Map to enlarge it..thank you
When I started out on this Labyrinthine Journey, I had no idea where the Road would lead nor who I would meet along the way.
Over the years, I encountered mystical Moonlit nights, Ancient stones that spoke to me, Knights past and present, Gifts beyond counting and above all, the Incredible Kindness of Strangers.
*
So it is with banners flying, with tears shed from loss of friendship, but also with joyful gratitude at those that 'held' as well as gaining new, that I now lay out this Journey Quest to you - 19 years in the making.
*
As for my travel companion, my mate, my beloved Bear; he always travelled with me, even when I travelled alone.
*
LEGEND: All Dates and Events are True
*
The Underlay Map:
The Ancient Rollright Stone Circle which we ‘discovered’ in 1987 on our first journey to the UK.
*
09.1996
The Beginning of My Quest
Bru Na Boinne (Newgrange) Ireland
Inside the Bru Na Boinne passage mound, I traced the Sacred Triskele with my left hand.
Later that same day, Gary bought me the Celtic Devotional by Caitlin Matthews at Dublin’s Trinity College Bookstore
** I wrote to Caitlin and received a newsletter of their Hallowquest site from which I learned that her husband John was giving a course on Celtic Shamanism the following November.
So from 11.1997 – 05.1998 I attended his 2 workshops: 6 months apart.
*
STAGE 1. 02.1999
For my birthday, Gary arranged for us to be in the UK to revisit The Rollright Stone Circle and to take Caitlin’s Course on the Inspiration And Augury of Brighid. at Caer, Cornwall.
During that workshop, we visited the Merry Maidens Stone Circle. (there are 19 stones)
One of the attendants was Julian who was to become a very large influence in the next stage of my Journey.
Guidepost: On the last night of the workshop, Caitlin mentioned to me that the Flame of Brighid still burns at Kildare Ireland ; it was re lit in 1993 (after 300 years of being doused!) by two Brighidine nuns who had moved back to Kildare.
Why don’t you go visit them?, she asked.
I said no, as we had our flight booked to return home.
*
06 -14 - 1999 -
I find the online group Ord Brighideach, enroll as a Brighidine Flame Keeper - 6th Shift - Holly Cell.
*
STAGE 2, 12.2001
Our 25th Ring Blessing at Hawkwood College, Cotswolds, UK
Julian arranged that Gary and I have a ring blessing ceremony by John and Caitlin during their Workshop weekend.
He was our ring bearer and escort.
Over the next two years, through constant emails and phone calls, we establish a great friendship and he asks that I join a new group he is forming called 'MerlinsWisdom' and explore with them, the influence of Merlin on the 7 Celtic Lands.
*
STAGE 3. 09.2003
MerlinsWisdom 1 – Cae Mabon Wales
My first Celtic Sweat with Julian, during which I meet John, and Carmel.
*
STAGE 4. 04.2004
Gary starts Dialysis, but this does not hold him back from our pre-booked travel plans.
With 9 pieces of luggage, a dialysis cycler, a converter and amazing support and encouragement, we travel to Cornwall so that I can attend:
4. 09.2004 – MerlinsWisdom 2 – Sancreed House, Sancreed Cornwall
My second Celtic Sweat : Julian, Carmel, John.
*
STAGE 5. 06.2005- MerlinsWisdom 3 – Paimpont, Brittany France.
I travel solo with the group this time
We are just the four: Julian, John, Carmel and I
Carmel invites me to come home with her to Ireland.
Guidepost:. – I look down at my feet in the Brittany Forest and see SHAMROCKS.
Of course I said yes.
Bless her! She drives me to Kildare to meet the Brighidine nuns and there at long last
I receive the Flame of Brighid!
On this Journey, I also meet these good folk –
Gina McGarry who wrote ‘Brighid’s Healing’
Mel – Carmel’s Druidic Teacher - Founder of Hood (Hibernian Order of Druis)
Jane – Mel’s wife and incredible artist. (Darkmoon Designs)
*
STAGE 6. 06.2006 –Dublin Ireland
Solo once more
I travel to Dublin and stay with Carmel., whose home will become my ‘home base’ for the next three parts of my Journey.
Together we fly to the Isle of Man for our workshop weekend.
*
STAGE 7. 06.2006 – MerlinsWisdom 4 – Isle of Man
Once more the four: Julian, John, Carmel and I.
It is here we explore the Elfin Glen and Meayll Stone Circle.
I also meet Graeme who gives me a very precious gift and another piece of the puzzle falls into place.
*
Though I am unaware,
my Journey with MerlinsWisdom is now over.
Another Path begins to call to me.
*
STAGE 8. 06.2006 – Cazaubon, Jouet, Dept Gers, France
I stay with my good friend Vicki and try to help her renovate a 200 year old manse that she and husband Geoff had purchased.
While there, I find out to my delight that Cazaubon is on the Pilgrim’s Route to El Camino also known as the Road to Santiago, and I see a scallop shell stitched to the back of a backpack worn by a lady pilgrim.
Guidepost: I am getting weary of travelling and seriously contemplating not going on to my next destination: Rosslyn Chapel Scotland and home to the Scottish Knight Templars.
On my last night in France, Vicki, Geoff and I are in this lovely auberge: I look across the room to see this most amazing sight – an oak cupboard with two Templar Crosses carved into the doors.
I don’t need to be told twice.
*
STAGE 9 .06.2006 – Rosslyn Chapel, Roslin Village, Scotland
It is here I meet a ‘real’ Knight Templar – a descendant of the Sinclairs who were reputed to be Guardians of the Grail (supposedly buried under the Chapel).
The reason for my journey becomes evidently clear when I have an ‘experience’ in the Chapel.
I am not given to clair-audience, but I distinctly hear horse’s hooves and saddle leather creaking.
During this sojourn, I also injure my left heel, making it difficult to walk.
I really wondered how I was going to manage with all my luggage and flights and trains.
Luckily for me, two Knights came to my rescue.
First: Stephen drove all the way from London to Warwickshire (where I was now staying with friends - a two hour drive) to pick me up and take me to another Knight - Graeme (whom I had met at the Isle of Man) who offers to not only put me up but get me to Heathrow so I could catch my flight home.
*
Home Then 1997-2007
We had just purchased our Condo in New Westminster, I still worked for BC Tel/ Telus and Gary worked for various computer firms.
During the latter half of this decade, both of us will leave our respective jobs and begin to work from home.
*
The Move 2007:
We sell our residence in the city and move to the Island to buy a house and land.
*
Home Now – 2007 – Journey’s End.
Come-What-May: Quail Hill

7 comments:

Kathryn Costa said...

What a journey indeed! Thank you for sharing this amazing and transformative time in your life. You are very lucky to have your dear *BEAR* in your life. Lucky am I to have met you and to witness your story.

More legends and quests await you!

{soul hugs}
k

Rose said...

What a fantastic journey! I am lucky enough to live in Cornwall and some of the places you talk about are familiar to me. I have the Matthews lovely Arthurian Tarot and I am envious of your having met them!

Judy H said...

What a great journey and thank you for putting it out there for us.

mel said...

Truly an amazing life you have led...and an interesting journey.

Thanks for stopping by my little paint-spattered patch...it was lovely to *meet* you.

~brightest blessings~

A tired retired recluse @ Swallowcliffs.blogspot.com/ said...

Lady North: Your journey spands many more years than mine. What a wonderful documentary!

Haloquin said...

A brilliant map-idea! Thank you for sharing :)

Good luck with your next quest!

~Halo xx
(www.haloquin.wordpress.com)

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love your commentary, and your map. I esp. love the many details on your map and that it spans time, as well. Very very interesting combination of Space and Time. Cool!