Sunday, October 5, 2008

Personal Lexicon - The Sea Unites Us All

I can lay claim to 3 very distinct Cultures.
Viking from my father's side, Celt from my mother's and somewhere in there (according to family legend) First Nations - perhaps Mohawk, Navaho or Hopi.

This was very much a 'O NOW I remember!'
I never knew my mother's parents but I had the great good fortune to be raised within a toddler's distance of my paternal grandparents.
The smell of lefse cooking on a dry skillet as a Winter treat.
My grandmother's soft humming.
The sound of my grandfather's fiddle.
Constuction:
The artpiece is surrounded by treasures of the sea, bits of arbutus bark, broken shells, feathers, and a wonderful 'scroll' of sea dried birch bark which made a perfect inkpot for my quill.
The twisted rope was a natural for a triskele to bind all three countries together and as I was working on this all week (despite Shower and Bookcase installation and cold/flu hacking coughing) the words 'the sea unites us all' came to me as the title; as it was the sea that brought my ancestors to this New World.
Blessings on all who view this
LN

7 comments:

Adrienne said...

That is just so lovely! I have to RSS you immediately and learn from you.

Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!

Adrienne said...

Just looked at Healing Love - gob smacking!! (Bit of a British East Ender slang word for awesome).

And it is so interesting to read about too. Thank you

Lady North said...

Bless YOU Adrienne! Don't worry about British East Ender slang -I have as they say a 'passing familiarity' with the gist.
And to have you 'rss' me as well..thank you for that..that's quite the compliment and dear artisan, in turn I hope to LEARN from you! blessings of the Season. LN

Mary S. Hunt said...

hope you get better quick!

this is a gorgeous piece but
i can't determine if it is more from the visual impact i get from your words as much as from the pieces shown in the journal that weave the memories into place.

you tell good history

Kathryn Costa said...

I love your style. The photos are so fun to look at. I could sit and stare at all of the details. Just think what you could do without the bouts of hacking - this is a fabulous page.

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous - I really love the 3D aspect to your pages. It brings me in and makes me want to study and read what you wrote. Thanks for shraring. Hugs.

Jane B. said...

Really lovely and thoughtful work, and very inspiring. I loved the juxtaposition of the words and the ocean blue background - it has a lot of feeling and emotion. Well done!